About Me

My photo
Helping to know Jesus and make Him known to others

Monday, March 28, 2011

Owerri 12



This is Saturday and Dr. Okere has dubbed this as our day of rest and preparation to return.  We slept in a little later.  My internal clock has adjusted very well to this new environment, so I am waking up at about the same time I wake in Savannah.  But it is nice to hear the birds singing each morning.  In fact we have spotted toucans in the trees next to the hotel.

The owner of the hotel is having the land cleared next to the hotel.  This is thick and jungle like.  They are doing it with a machete – one machete for three guys.  They even chopped  down several trees with the machete.  It was an amazing thing to watch as they chopped up the trunk into manageable pieces.  We watched them kill two snakes which they cleaned, cooked and ate on the spot.  One of the snakes was a cobra.

One of the young men who works for the hotel came by to see me this morning.  I have had several talks with him since we arrived.  Several of the team had talked to him about his relationship to God.  This morning he received Christ into his life.  It was a beautiful sound to hear his voice praying and asking our Lord to come into his life. He was ready.  I started him on the Arrival Kit.  He left and then the owner of the hotel brought his family by for prayer.  We talked and prayed for a long time.  It was affirming to me that we were in the right place.  Only God could bring trust this quickly for people to come and seek us out for prayer and spiritual help.
Several of us went out to the home of Leslie’s uncle.  He hosted us for a surprise meal.  He lives in New York, but also has a home in Owerri.  He is retired now and spends part of the year in Owerri.  His surprise meal for us was turkey and dressing, giblet gravy, rice, green beans, corn, and fruit cocktail. This is quite different than our meals before now – not very Nigerian, but very tasty.

Speaking of food – our Nigerian kin have enjoyed having us try all sorts of food.  Some have watched us intently to see how we would react to the food.  I have discovered some new dishes on this trip.  A Nigerian meal may include many things, but the first thing that comes on your plate is rice.  If you don’t eat rice, then you are culinary challenged in Nigeria.

As we traveled back to the hotel, I was reminded of the great disparity that exists in the nation of Nigeria.  Elections will happen here in a matter of weeks.  I am praying for these elections to bring to power men and women who will stand for freedom and against corruption.

After we got back to the hotel I left again to see Dr. Amadi one more time.  I had some gifts to give, some things for him to take care of for me, and some money give to him for the Community Baptist Church.  I thank God for all those who gave money for this trip.  We have invested it very wisely in the work that is going here.
Clement gathered us for prayer and prayed a beautiful prayer of blessing over me.  He then thanked me and sent a thank you to his family at The Sycamore.  His life and testimony is an honor to God and to all Christians everywhere.  Please pray that God will grant him long life to serve the Master for a long time.

A tearful departure came at sundown.  Stanley and I journeyed back to Ihiagwa.  A lot happens on a Saturday night.  There is much activity.  Downtown Ihiagwa looked like a flea market on steroids.  I am glad I was able to see it at night.
I had a surprise while I was away: the ladies had fixed Zach’s hair.  I wonder what his mom will say.  Dr. Cohen has a new look.

People visited us at our rooms the rest of the night as we prepared to leave the next day. It will be hard to leave these people.  Finally I can get to bed – I’m wound pretty tight tonight so it may take another minute to fall asleep – zzzzzz!

No comments:

Post a Comment