About Me

My photo
Helping to know Jesus and make Him known to others

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Owerri 15



The jet lag has kicked me pretty bad this time.  Maybe I was still thinking about my Nigerian kin and my body just couldn’t make the transition.  Regardless of the cause, I still seem to be on Owerri time.

I think of all our family there.  I hated to leave them.  I think they felt the same way – unless I don’t know the Ibo translation of “Come back when you can’t stay so long!”
To say that we were greeted with love and respect everywhere we went seems a little inadequate.  There was a graciousness and patience with us as we fumbled through their culture at times.  Their cheery nature and appreciation of a good laugh was medicine to my soul.  They even laughed at a few of my jokes – the intended and the accidental.  My translator only threw me under the bus once – that I know of.  But I do enjoy a good laugh even when it’s at my expense – that just gives me the license I need.

For some of you who are wondering if Nigerians like Americans – the answer is yes.  They are importing our culture rapidly – cell phones and televisions.  You may see a lady carrying something in a basket on her head (very traditional) while she is talking on her cell phone.  There is no monthly cell service.  You buy a card with phone credit on it and install that on the phone.                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment